Wednesday, March 14, 2018

A #MFRWHooks for What We Found #Romance and #Mystery

What We Found

Finding a dead body changes a person.

22-year-old Audra Needham is back in her small New Mexico hometown, ready to work hard, fit in, and help her younger brother. Going for a walk in the woods with her former crush, Jay, seems like a harmless distraction … until they stumble on a body.

Jay, who has secrets of his own to protect, insists they walk away and keep quiet. But Audra can't simply forget what she's seen. The woman needs to be found, and her story deserves to be told.

More than one person isn't happy about Audra bringing a crime to life. The dead woman was murdered, and Audra could be next on the vengeful killer's list. She’ll have to stand up for herself in order to stand up for the murder victim. It’s a risk, and so is reaching out to the mysterious young man who works with deadly birds of prey. With her 12-year-old brother determined to play detective, and romance budding in the last place she expected, Audra learns that some risks are worth taking – no matter the danger, to her body or her heart.

Excerpt:

I staggered back to Jay. My face felt strange, my lips pulled back in a weird grimace. “We have to call someone. Nine-one-one. The police.” I fumbled in my pocket for my phone.

My hand trembled as I lifted the phone toward my ear. Jay grabbed my wrist. “No.”

“What do you mean? We just found a body! We have to report it!”

He plucked the phone out of my hand. “We’re not telling anyone. We were never here.”

My hands dropped to my sides. “But – but – we can’t just – we have to – Jay, this is serious!”

“Exactly.” He pushed me toward the main path. “This is serious and we don’t want to be involved in it. Let somebody else find it.”


Kris Bock writes novels of suspense and romance with outdoor adventures and Southwestern landscapes. Whispers in the Dark features archaeology and intrigue among ancient Southwest ruins. In Counterfeits, stolen Rembrandt paintings bring danger to a small New Mexico town.

The Mad Monk’s Treasure follows the hunt for a long-lost treasure in the New Mexico desert. In The Dead Man’s Treasure, estranged relatives compete to reach a buried treasure by following a series of complex clues. In The Skeleton Canyon Treasure, sparks fly when reader favorites Camie and Tiger help a mysterious man track down his missing uncle.

Read excerpts at www.krisbock.com or visit her Amazon pageSign up for the Kris Bock newsletter for announcements of new books, sales, and more.

7 comments:

  1. Troubling for the heroine. What is he hiding? Great excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm - why is he so nervous about being found with a dead body - besides the obvious- it's a dead body!!! Intriguing.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that his attempt to avoid being involved is going to backfire somehow. Punishment for a bad deed, you know?

    ReplyDelete